Copyright 2015 linkinglewiscounty.com  all rights reserved       privacy policy here
Shop for 2016 NFL Drafted Player Jerseys at NFLShop.com
Subscribe to our
YouTube Channel
Gov. Cuomo to Redistribute  20 Percent of Unused Ventilators
and PPE from Upstate Hospitals to Hospitals in Need Downstate


April 04, 2020   05:00 p.m.
    Lowville, NY- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Friday that he will
    issue an Executive Order allowing the state to redistribute ventilators and
    personal protective equipment, or PPE, from institutions that don't currently need
    them and redeploy the equipment to other hospitals with the highest need.

    The National Guard would be used to transport the ventilators and PPE across
    the state, Governor Cuomo said at a Friday press conference. The equipment
    will be returned to the hospital or the hospital will be reimbursed for the
    equipment in the future, he added.

    The late morning announcement wasn't very specific in nature, causing a great
    deal of confusion and concern from local representatives at the state and federal
    level.

    Late Friday afternoon a statement was issued from Senior Advisor to the
    Governor Rich Azzopardi, reading:

    "In addressing the coronavirus pandemic, it is essential that we all work
    together. While the pandemic is primarily in downstate New York now - it is
    projected to peak and reduce in downstate and then increase in upstate. It
    is essential that we all help each other and the Governor is asking upstate
    hospitals to loan 20 percent of their unused ventilators to struggling
    downstate hospitals.

    Ventilators literally save lives. They will be returned or reimbursed to those
    hospitals.

    Moreover, when the pandemic wave hits upstate New York, the Governor
    will ask downstate hospitals for similar help.

    We are not upstate or downstate. We are one state and we act that way."

    Earlier in the week the State asked all hospitals to provide an inventory of their
    equipment, including ventilators and personal protective equipment.

    During a press conference on Thursday, Jerry Cayer, CEO at Lewis County
    Health System, said the hospital had completed the survey honestly and had
    submitted the results to state officials as directed. Mr. Cayer had previously
    stated that the facility had the ability to support six intensive care beds, with an
    intensive care bed including a ventilator.

    Based on the assumption the organization still had six ventilators available, and
    that none were in use, it would be expected that Lewis County Health System
    would be asked to lend one ventilator.

    We've reached out to Mr. Cayer and Lewis County Manager Ryan Piche to see if
    any direct request for equipment has been made to Lewis County Health System,
    which is owned by the county. At the time of publication we haven't received a
    response. We'll update as additional information is available.

    State Senator Joseph Griffo provided the following statement yesterday:

    “Today’s announcement by Gov. Cuomo that he will be signing an
    executive order that mandates the transfer of hospital supplies, including
    ventilators, from upstate health care facilities to downstate hospitals
    concerns me about what this action means for our region. I do not agree
    with the Governor’s approach and action he has taken to address this
    particular decision during this public health emergency. Before making this
    announcement, or any announcements, the Governor should have reached
    out to and informed local leaders and hospital officials. Unfortunately, that
    didn’t happen, and now local communities are scrambling to deal with this
    new order. Further, any type of intimidation or threat against any health
    care facility or local government is unacceptable and unthinkable from a
    leader in a time of crisis.

    While I respect the sanctity of life and recognize the need to support and
    help others, the administration must ensure that any initiatives it
    undertakes does not put additional risk on the residents and communities
    of Upstate New York in any way. All regions of the state must have access
    to the critical resources that they need to effectively deal with any situation
    that may develop. I remain committed to ensuring that local hospitals and
    health care workers get the supplies and equipment they require, and that
    Mohawk Valley and North Country residents have access to the medical
    services they need when they need it.”

    Congresswoman Elise Stefanik issued the following statement on Friday:

    “I am very concerned about Governor Cuomo’s announcement today
    regarding his plan to sign an executive order to shift ventilators from
    Upstate to Downstate New York,” said Congresswoman Stefanik. “The
    North Country comprises the largest number of seniors of any
    Congressional District in New York State, the most vulnerable age group to
    COVID-19. Our critical needs and vulnerabilities must be considered.
    North Country hospitals reached out to my office with this specific concern
    earlier this week – our rural hospitals are already very limited in resources
    and we must ensure Upstate New York’s needs for testing supplies and
    ventilators are fully met. I am committed to working through these concerns
    with both Republican and Democrat Upstate officials, our hospitals, and
    county public health offices."